Monday, November 7

Pass me my Checkbook

227_Wellemeyer.Todd_w

MLB.com has a story about Kerry Wood's latest charity event on the horizon. Wood is a top-notch philanthropist, and his upcoming shindig on November 12 promises to be no exception. During the day, he and his wife will host a bowling tournament benefit for Children's Memorial Hospital, accompanied by Mark Prior (he'd better bowl lefty), Dempster, Ryno, Mark "The Desert Drunk" Grace, and Matt Clement. There's an auction up for grabs too, with a good selection of memorabilia available at the right price.

In the evening, they're hosting a "celebrity bartending event" (keep Grace away, please) at Le Passage, a swanky club on the Gold Coast side of town. Aside from the usual fundraising, where celebrities compete for tips while pouring the drinks, there is another auction, where the main prize is an evening with Todd Wellemeyer at Le Passage.

Imagine that: a chance to dine with our favorite middle reliever. What would you ask him?

Q. How was co-ed life at Bellarmine (KY) College?
Q. Will you pitch better than your career 6.19 ERA next season?
Q. What music do you listen to on that long drive between Chi-town and Iowa?


I'm not poking fun at the charity aspect of it all, because deep down, it's all for a good cause. However, I would like to know what the winning bid is for that dinner & drinks session. Is dinner included in the prize, or would you end up going dutch with TW? I wonder if Todd picks up checks like he picks up runners on base.

6 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I were going to talk to Todd, I'd ask him about his first major league appearance- 18th inning against the Brewers with a 1-run lead and he comes on to strike out the side. I thought we had the next big thing right then (an opinion with minimal evidence, but quite a sunny outlook). I still think he can be a great pitcher. The next question I would ask him is "When are you going to wise up and add another pitch to your repertoir, boy?"

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Jim Hendry said...

I might ask what it's like to be "the other Todd" in the dugout, you know, not the other one.

Yeah, sorry about this, it's another slow news day in CubTown and I don't feel like talking about sabermetrics.

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Jim said...

CUBS RULE!!!

Yeah, I don't really have anything to say either. Winter's cruel.

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JT-

You'll be happy to hear that Carrie Muskat believes Nomar is headed for a new team. I'm a little sad about that, but as long as Cedeno comes through (big "if"), I won't mind too much. Still a bit depressing. He'll probably end up on the Cardinals or something.

I actually talked to someone about football today. The world is a sad place when baseball season is over.

 
At 2:34 AM, Blogger Jim said...

The Chicago Bears have given up the fewest points of any NFL team. Shades of 1985.

Uh, they ain't got an offense.

 
At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cubs have signed Neifi Perez for two more years. That's great! I just hope they aren't thinking "hmm... I bet he can play every day for us." He's a fantastic utility guy, and he'll be great to play infield spots for anyone on the DL or who just needs a rest (Aramis needs to sit sometimes). Even if it turns out he's not highly valuable to us, midseason he will be some tempting trade bait for other teams who need more bench or just need an interim shortstop. I hope Neifi has a great season, and he's underappreciated for the things he has done for the Cubs. However, that doesn't mean I want him to be our starting shortstop.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home